The instant asset write-off threshold has been increased from $30,000 to $150,000 and expanded access to include businesses with aggregated annual turnover of less than $500 million (up from $50 million). This applies from 12 March 2020 until 30 June 2020, for new or second‑hand assets first used or installed ready for use in this timeframe.
Under instant asset write-off eligible businesses can:
- immediately write off the cost of each asset that cost less than the threshold
- claim a tax deduction for the business portion of the purchase cost in the year the asset is first used or installed ready for use.
Instant asset write-off can be used for both new and second-hand assets. Some exclusions and limits apply.
The instant asset write-off eligibility criteria and threshold have changed over time. You need to check your business's eligibility and apply the correct threshold amount.
Changes from 12 March 2020
From 12 March 2020 until 30 June 2020 the instant asset write-off:
- threshold amount for each asset is $150,000 (up from $30,000)
- eligibility has been expanded to cover businesses with an aggregated turnover of less than $500 million (up from $50 million).
For further details see:
- Exclusions and limits
- Work out your deduction
- Later sale or disposal of asset
All information available from the ATO available at: